Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Music Moment

Alright, I know I've been Jesus-ing it up for the last couple posts, but we're gonna break and embrace my hippie side for just a moment.

Last night I went to a concert at Kilby Court ( a very small, uncharming, but excellent venue in Salt Lake), and encountered 3 very stellar bands, which I will now introduce you to.

1. Netherfriends - (Cue barefoot, tree-hugging hippie excitement) This guy decided the start a 50 state 50 song project, and I got to be part of his Utah portion. He's basically travelling all 50 states, performing and writing a song in each one. I was doing some research and learned that many other bands (much larger named ones) have attempted this and failed. However, his purpose is not to write a song about each one, but to write a song based on how each state inspires him. Much better I think. Anyway, I fell in love the minute they began setting up and I saw that their equipment consisted of a drum set (the drummer carried the tambourine around his neck), and a milk crate with a large pole sticking out of the middle surrounded by pots & pans, and a cymbal. Awesome.


They were phenomenal. Please check them out. 


2. The Neighbors - Not as hippie-esque. Just amazing. It's a brother/sister duo where the girl plays the bass, the piano, and sings... sometimes all at the same time. The guy drums, plays the keyboard, and sings...again, sometimes all at the same time. Crushes on both of them. Listen to them, buy their stuff. The End.


3. Koo Koo Kanga Roo - A children's group that somehow went main stream and have opened for bands such as Reel Big Fish, and Aquabats. Crazy. The music...is children's music, educational songs put to crappy Electronica. However, the life changing happens because of the live show. These guys are not only freaking hilarious, but awesome performers. They just know how to work a crowd. To describe it to you would not only be difficult, but you'd think I'd recently encountered some heavy drugs, therefore, I will only reveal the most awesome portion of the evening. 


They sang 2 songs back to back. In the first, they taught us Pirate dance moves, and in the second, they taught us Ninja dance moves. After the brief instruction, they asked us to choose which we were (I was, of course a Ninja. Who honestly thinks Pirates are better?) and separated us into our groups. We then had an all out Ninja vs. Pirates dance battle. ......need I say more?

To conclude, this was possibly one of the best Valentine's Days of my life. Thank you Eric Cockayne and friends revolutionizing my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment