Saturday, November 20, 2010

Joplin

There are some interesting scenarios I feel are specific to hedgehog owners. For those of you who don't know, hedgehogs hibernate when the temperature drops below 70. And for those of you who still don't know, Utah dropped below 70 in September. So I did my research and discovered that if you let domesticated hedgies go into hibernation, they don't have enough "storage" to make it through the winter. So basically you just have to keep them warm. I went down to the pet store and bought a little tank warmer to help her out, as I was moving into the basement of my new house.

Last night I got home about midnight and went to go play with her a bit, as that's when she's at her height of playfulness, to discover her tank warmer had quit working, and she'd entered hibernation mode, which for thos who've never seen that, looks like this.

Not so friendly right? So what does this mean for Sarah? Instead of going to bed, I spend the night warming up my hedgehog. I picked her up (very cautiously), wrapped her in a hoodie, and turned on the blow dryer. By the time she'd warmed up and calmed down a bit I was super tired, so I picked her up in the hoodie, climbed into bed, cuddled up, and fell asleep. 

I woke up at 3am to her snuggling up to my feet. Hibernation mode deactivated.

No comments:

Post a Comment