Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To the Boys

And boys you shall remain until you can follow these simple rules of engagement (no pun intended).

This weekend I went on a double date. And while it was completely out of the blue and extremely thrown together last minute, it was the best date of my life. Why you ask?



                                           


Midnight Capture the Flag with Nerf Guns







How could that be more awesome!? That's right, it can't.

And this superbly fantastic date got me thinking about some things. So here we go. Boys, pay close attention.

Dating do: Spontaneity. Last minute is cute, endearing, fun and really exciting. Especially for someone like me who has their life completely mapped out to the minute. I welcome distractions.

However, let me tell you about the experience I had the following day:

 Boy is texting me and asks what I'm doing that night. I tell him I'm going to the Bee's game and he says "You should ditch it and come on a date with me." I figure I could be persuaded, so I ask him what we're gonna do and he responds with "Eat food. Whatever you like doing."

What!? No.

Dating don't: Do not play the "ball is in your court" game. When it comes to planning dates, keep the ball. The ball is yours, do not pass it! Remember that you're wooing us. Your job is to make me feel special. My job is to laugh a lot, look/smell really good, continuously touch your elbow/knee/hand, lick my lips and look at you longingly until you want to kiss me. See, the dating game is more like football than tennis. Let's break it down to make sure we all understand:

We start off with our passing game:
You see girl and smile: the ball has been passed
She smiles: She's passed it back!
You approach girl and begin talking:
*Ball is passed back and forth as conversation ensues....*
You ask for her number: Passed the ball
She gives you her number: She passes it back


You now have the ball. Don't give it up. We've moved to the running game: no lateral passes, no fumbling. You are the running back. You cling to that ball like it is your child and you run with it until you cannot run anymore. Now that you've planned the date and she's accepted, we're back to the passing game:

You pick her up: Ball passed
She flirts and is a quality date the entire time....
*important, she still has the ball*
At some point, either vocally or via text, she thanks you and openly encourages a second date: Ball passed back to you.

You now have the ball and we're back to the running game. Now, if you choose, run with it until you can't run anymore.

Women want to feel special. We want to feel like you thought about us. You'll notice that both instances were last minute, in fact, Date #1 had much less time to plan than Date #2 did, but the difference is that he made a decision, and there is something absolutely sexy about a man who makes decisions. It shows confidence. Had Date #2 responded with something like "Don't worry about it, I'll make it worth it. How about 7:00?" I would've laughed, shaken my head and said "Ok :)" (See how I did that with the texting smiley? That's a good sign.)

So what have we learned here? 
1. Girls want to feel special
2. Girls expect boys to make decisions
3. Until boys start making decisions, they will remain boys.

Please direct any hatemail to sarah@boysshouldmakemoredecisions.com and have a great day! :)

6 comments:

  1. Ummmm... this is amazing. I'm posting a link to my facebook page, and my blog. And I'm going to make my brother in law post it to his college football blog, because it's way too awesome to not share!

    The only thing I would add.....no text dating. We don't give you our numbers so that you can text us to ask us out, man up...we love to hear sexy man voice on the phone ;) And it's a lot harder for us to say no on the phone than through text....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Extra man points for phone calls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant. Great analogy, and I don't even LIKE football! You explain exactly what we do wrong and why it doesn't work, but even better, show us what DOES work and why.

    Extra points for pointing out to both the guy and the girl what their respective job is.

    I'll second Megan's comment about text dating being lame. I'd rather talk to a girl anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the date should have been turned down because he can't expect you to drop everything--that doesn't make you special. He can wait a few days for when you ARE free--now THAT is special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel, I can see you're point. However, in defense of Date #1, he didn't expect me to be free, he simply inquired and when I agreed, he took charge. In the future, if anything were to ever happen and ALL of our dates were last minute, it would be an obvious disrespect of my time. But, for a first date, it's cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Love you! You should have a talk show

    ReplyDelete