Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What is the Deal!?

WARNING: It's about to get real...and maybe a little sassy. Consider this a satire ;)

So after my "Can I Get a Translator?" post I was talking to one of my buddies from the mission about it and he told me that it made him feel like a total bum. After an apology and further interrogation, I discovered that he had pulled many a stunt similar to those of Bachelors 1-3. I listened intently, put myself in his shoes, and was taken on a grand tour of the male psyche. There were a couple well made points, and when all was said and done I concluded with: "I retract my previous apology. You deserve to feel like a bum."

What is it with boys? What exactly are you looking/waiting for? Because after discussing The Great Dating Famine of 2011 with some of my girl friends, I'm discovering that we good LDS women are continuously being placed into one of two categories by the male half of the species:

Homies and NCMO's

Let's explore shall we?


Homies: This is my personal favorite, because for the last 25 years of my life I have been locked into this category. Seriously, my guy friend quota is filled. Off the top of my head I can come up with 8 guys I could just call to kick it right now. That's enough to fill every night of the week, and if you gave me 5 more minutes, I'm sure I could fill 2. Now, is this really productive to the overall goal of Eternal Companionship? The answer is no. I know it, you know it, and my guy friends know it. So here's the deal, if you're trying to date me and it appears that I've been flirting with you (i.e. lots of texting, multiple invites to things, baked goods, touching of the elbow, witty banter...), it's cause I want you to ask me on a date. Which, in case you didn't know, is code for "Eventually, I would like to make out with you". This isn't an episode of "Paris Hilton's my new BFF." I want to date you.

NCMO's: Honestly, I feel like this may be worse than the Homie category. I have no experience on this topic, as I am morally opposed to them. However, I have friends who do, and if being in an ambiguous friendship/relationship isn't already confusing enough to the emotion-driven female mind, throwing physical intimacy into the mix just creates a hyper-sensitive estrogen cocktail of death...


So can anyone explain to me why it's gotta be this way? Why aren't dates happening? Because myself and plenty other great women I know continuously hear from guys that we're going to be amazing wives and mothers, or we're absolutely beautiful, fun and awesome, but these compliments are never followed up by an invitation for a date. So dear stalkers (especially those of you men who are reading, but pretending you aren't...), will someone tell me what it is we lack? Why exactly are there are so many good women who just aren't good enough?

Seriously....start talking :)

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to see what you wrote for the beginning of summer - very interesting stuff. The deal is most guys are inept and lack the ability to make a decision because they're to busy seeing the grass greener on the other side, too afraid to make a mistake, would rather be playing video games or just don't want to chose to get married.
    I certainly enjoyed your article "One less lonely Girl" (and Pres Uchtdorf) which illustrates patience and that patience isn't passive. Just think as most of the guys left (unfortunately) could be the 70% that are going to have varied issues because of their instant gratification issues.
    So lets call a spade a spade and the convoluted mess that marriage is within the church. There are conflicting ideas at task, especially in young adults minds:
    Let's start with a favorite of mine - the Toys R Us and I don't wanna go up (because people are too accustomed to being pampered).
    Next we have the - it's everyone else's fault, not mine.
    Supported with - I want my cake and eat it too.
    And a side of I'll get to it when I feel like it.
    With a wonderful worldly supporter of this is what should and should not happen in a marriage to have a perfect marriage.
    Take all of that in a mixing bowl, add a female with her crazy ingredients... shake it all up and it's a challenge to find two people that actually want each other because of who the other person really is... and chose the other person.

    How about waiting for you to talk back (fun)!

    ReplyDelete