Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Can I get a translator?

Now, let's get one thing straight. I, Sarah Murray, have always been one of the guys. I relate with them better. Maybe it's cause I like sports. Maybe it's cause I've always been good at climbing trees, or cause I don't like a lot of make-up and prefer jeans and Converse. Who really knows? The point is, I spend a lot of my time with boys, which means I'm pretty good at understanding what's going on in their heads. Or at least I thought I was.

In the last few months, I've been quite proud of my dating efforts, and have actually been on a few really good dates.  However, because of my complete inexperience, I don't actually know what to do after a good first date. I'm not even used to having them....I'm used to being set up and wondering the whole time why anybody would think the two of us had anything in common. However, recently, 3 of my firsts have stuck out as pretty good ones....but they've gotten....weird.

Welcome to The Dating Game...


Bachelor #1: I liked him from the start. Super tall, and funny, with the sweetest, most comfortable personality I've ever encountered. He was sensitive, but not in the super-girly weird way. Just...aware. We had great date, with excellent conversation. Post-date he became super hit and miss. He was either ridiculously alert and attentive, or completely ignoring me. To the point of not even making eye-contact. It was weird, and contact continues to be flakey...at best. 

Bachelor #2: We didn't really know each other, but he came highly recommended by some pretty trustworthy people. He was all the right kinds of sarcasm, made me laugh, and definitely not too hard on the eyes. When later asked by friends how the date went, I described it as a four star date (the highest rating in Sarah book of dating). He was attentive, tons of fun, and did all the date-like things. Our interactions continue to be limited, but flirtatious, and when we exist in the same space he generally makes the first move. However, despite having my number, he's never used it.

Bachelor #3: Set up by a mutual friend upon my request, this was possibly the most fun I have had on a date in a long time. He was absolutely hilarious, and from what I gathered, we jived pretty well. I even flirted, like real flirting. If you would've seen it, you would've known I was interested. Impressive right? I thought so. Afterward, I facebook stalked him like I've never done before. I legitimately liked this kid. Again, post-date contact has been limited to sparse texting, and no further dates have even been alluded to.

So in this here dating game, I'm just wondering: Does anyone speak boy? Anyone? Cause I thought I did, but apparently when my emotions are involved, the world stops making sense. And when nothing makes sense I automatically try to make it make sense. So, faithful readers, would you like to know what I've figured out? Two things.

1. In all 3 cases, I just don't know, and there's nothing I can do to know.
2. I'm sick of chasing boys.

Now normally when I like a boy, I will insert myself into his life, and try everything I can to spend time with him, which as you can see, hasn't been especially effective. I'm now 25, and in being so, have grown tired of running around the playground trying to kiss boys. So, here's the conclusion:

I'm kind of a catch. I feel like I got a lot of things going for me, and for that reason, I need to start making boys work for it. I ain't just handing this out like Jolly Ranchers at the Macy's Day Parade. If I'm going to do my part to put out all the right signs, and encourage said male, he's going to have to do his part to make something happen. My friend told me once that if a girl doesn't make him work at least a little bit, he never really appreciates what he has.

So here's to the ever so daunting task of finding a Mormon boy who's willing to man-up.

6 comments:

  1. Amen Sister!

    I just love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're gonna hate me for saying this, and obviously I have no room to talk, last week I had 5 boys chasing me, and now I have none....and I'm going to hate myself for saying this, because I hate the game, but.....you gotta play the game. Boys like to chase, and girls like to be chased, and that's the way it is. Once you figure that out, then read "The Rules" uggghhhh what have we come to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hate the game....and previously I just thought to myself "I'll just be me,and they'll notice, and fall madly in love." Aaaand that didn't work. So I'm starting to realize that part of the game...is making it not so easy. Basically it's dating defense....but not defensive dating.... I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the ever so insightful Murray. The said boy talked about on my last visit, still seems to me somewhat in my life. I've broken up with him mainly for two reasons: 1) tired of fighting with mom about him not being good enough for me 2) tired of fighting with mom about him not being good enough for me/ didn't think I was madly in love with him, but loved him. 3) Mad that he wasn't Man-ing up" he seemed content enough with the fact that I was bending my emotions inside and out to try and make things work for us, but it seemed like I was the only one compromising. He said once he wanted to confront my mom and work things out, but didn't, seemed not to care enough to improve his church values to match mine even though he knew it was a big deal to me. So.... I'm taking a clear and clean month from him. Which is hard since I haven't seem to be able to go 2 weeks without seeing or hearing from him in 7 months. So I'm trying this dating other people thing and it is hard. First of all where are all the men in the world? Not the silly boys that still live with their parents ( oh wait I do too, so can I judge? Yep, yep I can.) Being chased is so much easier, than giving notice that you are interested. Sure, you might get the occasional stocker like I do ( which seem to be mainly 30 year old Hispanic guys) but I suck a chasing boys. I tend to lose all motivation and just plop down on the floor crying "I don't want to play anymore".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok A- We should start a club because you just described my life...2- If I were a boy I'd totally date you...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, I'm an AMAZING blog stalker!! I've decided to start stalking yours...I hope that's okay :)
    I loved this post and totally agree with you! Dating's rough and you're totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete