Saturday, February 21, 2009

Round Shoes and a Ponytail

HA! Sorry, can't start this story without laughing about it maybe a little bit. hehe. Alright, I'm composed. So, this weekend, my roommate's friend had a "People Who Don't Suck Party" which...as the name suggests is an event, that is held so people who don't suck, don't have to be around people who do suck. Sounds like a good plan right? I thought so too. I later learned that it's also useful tool for discovering that you, infact, do suck. :)


As much as we all love the internet, and beautiful things like Facebook, and how easy it is to send an e-vite, it doesn't always work well. I never actually recieved my invitation to the party, but was on the guest list anyway. Luckily, my roommate, Sarah, is in PR and is used to following up with people about things, so I recieved a verbal invite, a few short hours before. Realizing that Sarah was the only person that I'd know there, and she would know quite a few people, I tried to get some backup, hoping I could bring a small comfort group along with me and not feel so alone. However, short notice sucks, and only my friend Brian was able to come. Hooray for Brian! *NOTE: Brian is an important element in this story, hence the photo. It's also just a funny picture

I kind of knew the sort of people we'd be around, so I made sure to dress up a little bit with a sweater and nice pair of jeans, but I was hesitant to wear nice shoes, I like to dress up, but I always think it's fun, and more comfortable, to wear my Converse. However, I'd left them at Julie's house so the strappy black ones had to do. Finally, Brian arrived and we headed on our merry way around 8ish, and found ourselves thrown into a world neither of us had ever been. Everyone was dressed fashionably fabulous- and in season, the condo was something I would have imagined in NYC, complimented with an ambiance of mood lighting and music that somehow appealed to all, managing to be club-esque, with a hint of lounge - low enough for normal conversation, yet loud enough to simply listen if desired. There were a variety of sodas, of no recognizable brand, but with flavors comparable to IBC or Stewarts. We used real forks to eat our appetizers (which were, of course, posh) and some pretty impressive mini plastic plates. The only tackiness to be found was the Premium Selection brand popsicles brought by Brian and myself (Ok, he brought them, I mooched). I felt really ordinary, and self-consicous really quick.

Though I (just barely) looked the part, most of the time I felt like I couldn't say something unless it was adding substance and meaning to someone else's life, and considering most of what I say is useless and silly, I stayed pretty quiet. I had fallen to people watching, and occasionally commenting on someone else's conversation with Brian, finding quite a bit of comfort in the fact that I wasn't alone. Soon conversation had turned to what the guys liked in a girl, and to be honest, I wasn't really paying attention until quietly, almost to himself, Brian said "I like a girl with round shoes and a ponytail." Sarah and I were the only ones who caught it, and we looked at him with his little smile and laughed, because not only was it true, but a needed comfort. While I was there I felt simple, and common, and a started to feel the need to fit into that crowd. When Brian said that, I realized the simple confidence in his statement. I am a round shoes and a ponytail kind of girl. Yeah I like to get dressed up every now and then, but mostly, I'm pretty casual, and it's ok. In fact, not only do I like being that way, but I have friends who are like me, and think I'm pretty interesting. So interesting, that you're reading my blog!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, check me out, I'm on your blog tee hee. So check out my blog sometime, cuz you love me. It's great seeing ya.

    ReplyDelete